Full-Time Sr. Python Developer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
RTI International is one of the world’s leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Our staff of more than 3,700 provides research and technical services to governments and businesses in more than 75 countries in the areas of health and pharmaceuticals, education and training, surveys and statistics, advanced technology, international development, economic and social policy, energy and the environment, and laboratory testing and chemical analysis.
RTI’s Center for Data Science (CDS) seeks a talented Sr Python Developer to be based in Research Triangle Park, NC*. Research Triangle Park (RTP) is centrally located from Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill and is consistently rated one of the best places to live in the U.S., with great restaurants, an active tech and open-source community, cultural amenities from the 3 major research universities in the area, and an affordable quality of life.
We’re looking for someone who has advanced Python development skills, but more importantly, for somebody who is going to be a leader in software development at RTI, will be thrilled to jump into complicated projects, help develop useful libraries and resources (such as ETL and analytic pipelines), and perform other activities such as teaching others here how to work with Python.
The mission of the Center for Data Science is to advance and support scientific research conducted at RTI in many different domains. Our goal is to solve problems and inform decision-making through innovation, collaboration, and technical expertise. We extract, merge, analyze and visualize historic and real-time data from a heterogeneous sources to make predictions of future events, inform decisions that will lead to optimal outcomes, and classify new observations that can guide actions and target interventions. We take our mission “to improve the human condition” seriously and seek staff who resonate with it.
Our staff have opportunities to lead original research, create data science tools and data products, present at conferences, publish technical papers, and impact the world!
The Senior Python Developer will work with a team of data scientists, researchers, statisticians, subject matter experts, and web developers to develop smart, innovative solutions. We’re looking for someone to help us on all Python-based projects, taking leading roles as applicable. You will take scripts we’ve written and harden them and/or make them available for public open source release. You will a “go to” person for Python questions and assistance.
The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of relevant programming languages, web protocols, design patterns, storage, and network experience. Exceptional problem solving abilities will be critical for success, as will be a focus on quality.
- Collaborate with a team of data scientists, statisticians, computer scientists, and subject matter experts to solve problems using data science approaches, techniques, and methods.
- Participate as an active member of a data science pipeline, to design and implement web-based prototypes and tools that convey analytic findings from projects that involve machine learning, text analysis, social network analysis, and other statistical analysis methods.
- Design and implement components of web-based analysis platforms, including interfacing with a variety of different types of databases and APIs.
- Assist in gathering client requirements to help frame projects and design solutions based on client needs and problems to be solved.
- Teach internal programming classes, help us clean up code, help us establish best practices, etc.
- Participate in professional development and scientific stature efforts.
- Help recruit and grow development talent
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent* with at least 10 years of programing experience and at least 3 years of full time experience in Python development skills.
- Experience building web APIs
- Prior experience as the development lead/architect for a software project
- Strong oral, written communication, and presentation skills as evidenced by prior experience teaching, giving presentations, etc.
- To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and should not require now, or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.
*An equivalent degree is defined as high school diploma and 6 years of technical work experience.
In addition to the qualifications, serious candidates will possess a number of the desired qualifications and attributes:
- Experience with D3.js or another data visualization library
- Experience with the Pandas library for Python
- In-depth experience with PostgreSQL
- Prior experience as responsible person for a production web application or API
How to Apply
Please visit the following link to submit your resume to our job posting on our company website. If you have any questions, you may contact Melissa Werner at firstname.lastname@example.org.