Full-Time Sr. Director, Web Engineering
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
At Basis, we believe a well-crafted experience has the power to positively transform the way people think about their everyday health and wellness. We are looking for a Sr. Director of Engineering to join that cause with our talented team.
Our ideal candidate combines great people management skills with deep expertise in the technologies that power fast, scalable web applications (esp. Python and MongoDB). In addition to writing high quality software, we seek someone who enjoys the other aspects of building a new company: managing a tightly-knit development team, innovating on all levels of the stack, designing features, making good product decisions, marketing and recruiting.
- Lead web and platform development at Basis (solve difficult engineering challenges, and build the dream team you’ve always wanted).
- Own overall planning, execution and success of technical projects, working closely with the product + design teams.
- Make smart technical decisions around scaling our core architecture, especially the server-side algorithms and APIs that power our web and mobile applications.
- Extend the Basis platform for easy use by 3rd party application developers.
- People who want a small, fun environment where really smart people are doing groundbreaking stuff that makes a difference.
- We are building a mass-market service that gives people personalized, science-based feedback to stay healthy in a fun way.
- Along the way, we are amassing the world’s single largest repository of vital signs — a biometric data set few people have seen before but that you’ll get to work on every day.
- Based in the sunny, SOMA district of San Francisco close to BART/MUNI, parking and Caltrain.
- Technologies: Python, MongoDB, MVC frameworks, Git and front-end web development. Must have firm grasp on security and other ops related issues.
- Hands-on experience with best practices (that you get to enforce at Basis) — rapid, test-driven development, continuous deployment, Pivotal Tracker management, and clean, well-documented code.
- Experience managing productive engineering teams and an active interest in being the liaison with groups outside engineering (e.g. product and marketing).
- Experience with consumer web applications where incoming data is analyzed in real-time and relayed back to a web/mobile app instantly.
- Experience defining APIs for internal and external use, and opening up a platform to 3rd party developers.
- No offshore contractor inquiries please. You need to be local in the Bay Area and eligible to work in the US.
- Actively contributes to open source software.
- Worked with Amazon Web Services and staged deployment environments.
- Experience interfacing with a firmware/hardware team.
How to Apply
If you’d like to help build the world’s largest database of vital signs and work on a product that makes people healthier/happier, please drop us a note at email@example.com.