Full-Time Software Developer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The right candidate will have experience developing commercial mobile and web applications, and be ready to take a leadership role in designing software for businesses in the developing world. We want a versatile team member who is as comfortable talking to rural energy entrepreneurs and giving public presentations as they are writing code. Our technology stack is currently Python, Django and RapidSMS, an open source SMS messaging framework, but you’ll lead software architecture and help make key technology decisions as we get ready to scale. Ideally you’re excited about 12-18 months of work in East and Southern Africa, and at a minimum you’re ready for significant international travel.
- Experience building commercial, consumer-facing web applications
- Willingness and ability to travel, including rural travel in developing countries
- 4 year degree in a quantitative, technical field, or equivalent experience
- A good sense of humor
Plus some of the following:
- Comfort with large datasets and enthusiasm for creative data visualization
- Knowledge of Python/Django/PostgreSQL
- Android, J2ME, or SMS application development
- Past contributions to open source projects and interest in continuing to contribute
- Interest in managing a technical team including developing country nationals
- Experience with point of sale data collection, and software for supply chain management and logistics
- Prior work with sensors, data-loggers and GPRS connectivity
- Interest in clean energy and the environment, including experience with carbon finance and emissions trading
- Experience living and working outside of the US
- Fluency in a language spoken in Africa, Asia or Latin America
How to Apply
- A brief cover letter describing your background, interest in the position, and relevant experience
- A current CV
- Links to code you’ve written or contributed significantly to (clearly indicate your contributions), as well as finished products where applicable. Applications that do not include code samples will not be considered.