NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Number of Positions
Performs highly complex (senior-level) scientific and web computer programming and software development work. Work involves overseeing the planning, scheduling and assigning of programming projects; coordinating programming projects; analyzing proposed computer applications; and providing technical assistance.Maintains existing and new internal and open source software. Performs moderately complex data processing, quality assurance and management functions for water quality and other water-related time-series data. Assists in architecting workflows to control quality, version, archive and disseminate data from field and modeling studies. Maintains software that retrieves and inserts data into relational databases. Maintains data related webpages and fulfills customer requests for data. Works under limited supervision, with latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Essential Job Functions
• Oversees the coding, testing and debugging of programs as outlined by a system’s technical and functional requirements.
• Oversees the detailed analyses, design, plans, diagrams and verification procedures for existing and proposed computer applications.
• Assists Application Services Manager in scheduling and assigning projects to Scientific Applications Team programming staff.
• Coordinates the research and analysis required for project proposal, software and systems modifications and new projects.
• Coordinates with the Application Services Manager and Technical Architect to develop standards and procedures for Scientific Applications Team programming staff.
• Develops and implements specialized programs to supplement and enhance systems software.
• Provides technical advice and assistance in matters related to programming activities.
• Prepares instructions and procedures for use during implementation of software modifications, system modifications and/or new products.
• Assists in the generation or installation of systems software.
• Serve as lead for Coastal Geodatabase project
• Cross-train and serve as backup system administrator for Linux and Amazon Web Services cloud systems.
• May assign and/or supervise the work of others.
• Performs related work as assigned.
• Graduation with a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Computer Science, Information Science, Engineering, Natural Science or a related field.
• Relevant experience may be substituted for college education on a year-for-year basis.
• Three years of experience developing software applications using Python. Experience may be academic, open source or work related.
• Experience in the development and analysis of geospatial, engineering and/or scientific data.
• Experience in the development and analysis of time-series data.
• Experience with the graphical display of engineering and/or scientific data.
• Experience with numerical and statistical methods.
• Experience with groundwater and/or surface water modeling.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge and understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
• Knowledge of relational databases and data management, with experience with PostgreSQL preferred.
• Knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008/2012.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server 2003/2008.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Visual Studio.NET 2008/2010/2012.
• Knowledge of State of Texas environmental and natural resources, particularly water resources management.
• Skill in the development of unit tested software.
• Skill in the development of web applications and/or web services using Python, with experience in Flask or Django preferred.
• Skill in the development of scientific Python applications, with experience in NumPy, SciPy or Pandas preferred.
• Skill in the development of FORTRAN applications.
• Skill in the use of UNIX/Linux operating systems, with experience in systems administration preferred.
• Skill in the deployment of software applications, with experience in Fabric or Ansible preferred.
• Skill in the use of distributed version control systems, with experience in GitHub preferred.
• Skill in providing excellent customer service, both internally and externally.
• Skill in decision making and problem solving.
• Ability to develop, analyze and design system requirements and processes.
• Ability to communicate both technical and non-technical issues effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to prioritize deadlines.
• Ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects with limited supervision.
• Proven ability to work and collaborate with others in multi-disciplinary teams.
· Copy of required academic transcripts and/or licensures and copy of driving record must be submitted at the time of hire. Failure to provide required documentation will result in no further consideration for employment.
· Important Notice: Otherwise qualified candidates who are ultimately considered for potential employment with the Texas Water Development Board may be the subject of a request for any criminal history record information maintained by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS). Evidence of a criminal conviction or other relevant information obtained from the DPS shall not automatically disqualify an individual from employment with the Texas Water Development Board.
How to Apply
Apply Via Mail/Hand Delivery: Texas Water Development Board, Stephen F. Austin Building, 1700 North Congress Ave., Room 670, Austin, Texas 78701 or via facsimile (512) 463-7644. Refer to Human Resources (512) 475-2142
Equal Opportunity Employer
Female and minority applicants are encouraged to apply.
Males born on or after January 1, 1960, will be required to present proof of Selective Service registration on the first day of employment or proof of exemption from Selective Service registration requirement. All offers of employment are contingent upon the candidate having legal authorization to work in the United States. Failure to present such authorization within the time specified by the U.S. Department of Labor will result in the offer being rescinded. Only applicants interviewed will be notified of their selection or non-selection. Resumes will not be accepted in place of a completed State of Texas application unless indicated.
The Texas Water Development Board does not discriminate on basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability in employment or provision of services, programs, or activities. www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs