NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Yipit is a recently venture-backed, NYC-based startup that helps people eat, buy and do anything they want by giving them unbelievable, personalized deals. We need someone who can help take the company’s technology to the next level.
If you’re a developer looking either to get solid experience at a tech startup or one who has already been through the ringer, this is the ideal job for you. We work with the latest technology including: Amazon Web Services, Django, RabbitMQ, Gunicorn, Nginx, and Git. You will be working in one of the hottest sectors in the web right now: the social commerce market, including Groupon, LivingSocial and their 396 US Competitors.
Disclaimer: If you have a strong background in Rails and are excited to work in Django, we’re more than happy to hire you. Knowing web frameworks generally is far more important than knowing our specific toolset.
Your primary responsibilities will be:
- Django Development: We plan to be in
30 50+ cities by the end of the year, and we need development to happen very quickly. Although we are a small team, we strive to follow best practices both in terms of code quality and methodology.
- CSS and jQuery Development: You have to be able to hold your own on the front-end even if you’re specialty is the backend – and vice-versa. We aren’t a big enough shop to keep anybody with too narrow a focus.
Your secondary role will require you to pitch in on a variety of areas:
- Systems: While we outsource as much systems work as possible (i.e. by using Amazon Relational Database Service for our data store), there’s still a fair bit to be done. Since we have no dedicated administrator, you need to be able to maintain your own environment – and be ok with that. If you’re a front-end magician, we’re willing to take this off of your plate.
- Evaluating New Technology: Being nimble requires taking advantage of new technologies before many of the kinks have been worked out. You need to be able to evaluate a library or service for use on our site based on: maturity, maintainability, portability, etc…
- SEO: People need to be able to find Yipit.com and we all take that responsibility seriously. While it’s not a primary goal, it’s a core skillset you need to keep active.
- Giving Back: Open source technology is our foundation. If we use an open source package, we may need to fork it for our own purposes and maintain it publicly. You need to be comfortable working with developers in the larger community.
This opportunity is perfect for a recent or upcoming college graduate (graduated between ’05-’11) who is passionate about joining the startup world. Internship opportunities are also available for those graduating ’12-’13. Maybe you are looking to start your own company one day. We’re interested in extraordinary people from any background, but most importantly you are:
- Intellectually and professionally nimble: able to take on a variety of independent workstreams in a leadership role. The ability to take ownership of a task is critical.
- An extremely hard worker: ready to make this startup a primary focus of your life.
- A great communicator: letting people know what needs to happen will help us get our jobs done.
Compensation includes full health benefits and equity. Given the nature of this job, it will be very competitive but we will take a serious look at everyone’s submission and get back to you quickly.
For more background on the company, check out some of our recent press: Huffington Post,The New York Times, New York Magazine, Wired, and TechCrunch.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your LinkedIn URL, GitHub URL, and a code sample. Our office is located in New York.