NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
The OKF is looking for Python web developers interested in open data to work on CKAN.
CKAN is a web-based product built in Python using SQLAlchemy, Pylons and other libraries. It allows users to submit, search for and find open datasets. As well as powering The Data Hub, CKAN is the catalogue behind the UK Government’s high profile data.gov.uk website and the European Union’s Public Data site. It also powers over 20 other catalogues around the world including those in Norway, Holland and Finland, with more on the way.
If you are a really good web developer with a keen interest in open data, and enjoy working in Python on open source products, we’d love to hear from you. As well as CKAN and depending on your skills you might also like to work on:
- The WebStore – our SQLite based solution for allowing people to process data online and plot the results
- The DataHub – our public catalogue which will include more social features
- Geospatial features – such as plotting data on maps, and harvesting geospatial data from other sources
- Drupal integration
- Web app development experience in python (experience with SQLAlchemy, Pylons, Flask highly desirable)
- Linux (preferably Ubuntu)
- Enthusiasm about open data and open knowledge
Bonus points for any of these (not essential though):
- Geo-spatial work (OpenLayers, OGC standards, CSW servers, WMS servers etc)
- Experience with agile methods
- Sysadmin or Devops skills
- Debian packaging skills
- Redis, Solr, RabbitMQ
- Semantic web/RDF
We are looking to hire solid developers, particularly those who take pleasure in finishing code and seeing it deployed.
How to Apply
To apply to work in the CKAN team please send your CV or blog URL to james.gardner [at] okfn.org, please cc: jobs [at] okfn.org