Full-Time Lead web engineer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Funded fashion technology start-up hiring lead web engineer.
SIZESEEKER is a funded start-up that helps people find their size in clothing when they’re shopping online. Try asking your friends how they choose their size while shopping online. They might tell you that they buy more than one size and live with the hassle and expense of exchanges. Or maybe they’ll say they don’t shop online for that reason.
SIZESEEKER plugs into brand and retailer websites, making it even easier to shop online. We’re looking for a technical leader who will design and build our technical stack, and help create a company culture to attract a talented team of engineers and developers.
Over the next few months, you will:
- Work hand in hand with the CTOs and technology teams of our partners and customers (most immediately a major retailer in women’s luxury clothing)
- Develop content, flow, and visual design of the SIZESEEKER website
- Configure and manage servers, databases, and anything else that needs hosting
- Work with graphic designers to create a front-end plug-in for retail websites that incorporates out core algorithm technology
You’re excited to lead a team of engineers, building a company culture that we can all be proud of. You have a broad knowledge of web technology and can move between concepts around web development and database management without a problem. You’ve built things using some of the main scripting languages (Ruby, Python, …) and web frameworks available (Rails, Django, Flask, etc.). You’re eager and quick to learn and you earn the respect of experts in the top fields of engineering, even if you’re not an expert yourself. You’re comfortable managing relationships with the management of some of the largest online apparel retailers while we build services for their sites.
Above all, you’re smart and believe in yourself. You’re not afraid to make mistakes and learn from them — though hopefully you’ve already made quite a few mistakes in the past. You realize that failure is a part of progress and are OK with a quick and dirty approach to building products people will actually use — but avoiding the common pitfalls of compounding technical debt.
You have work authorization in the U.S., and are ideally located in or around New York City (or willing to make the flight on a regular basis). You’re available full-time by early November 2012 at the latest.
Why you would want to work with us:
We’re going to give you the tools, customers, and resources to build a product that people will actually use. You’ll also have the freedom to create a vision and bring it to life. If that’s not enough, here are some more reasons:
- The code that you will write will be meaningful. If you have friends who shop for online clothing, they will be using the product you built.
- You will be helping to disrupt the fashion industry — capitalizing on a $10B market opportunity
- You’ll be building our product alongside the CTOs of paying customers, some of whom are also investors
- If you’ve ever been disappointed by a company culture, this is your opportunity to be a part of building an awesome one
- You’ll be doing more than just coding:
- Building, managing, and inspiring a team
- Providing direction for business strategy issues
- Networking with fashion customers
SIZESEEKER is an early stage start-up. We value learning, risk taking, and above all a desire to build a great product that people will use and enjoy.
We’re a team of experienced entrepreneurs who have successfully raised funding and signed multimillion dollar luxury fashion partners for our beta launch. We’re also a fun group of people, who among other endeavors have worked in film, social venture capital, whitewater raft guiding, and even, once upon a time, working in the Calvin Klein section of Macy’s.
We pay a competitive salary with equity.
We’re trying to change the way people shop online, so a desire to do the same is essential. Looking forward to talking with you!
How to Apply
Please reach out directly to email@example.com. Please include examples of your portfolio.