Full-Time Lead Python Software Engineer
For those senior python developers with significant experience (5 years at least) in scalable flask/api/sqlalchemy/uwsgi/continuous deployment to amazon cloud with some distributed computing experience.
Job Title: Senior Software Engineer
Education is being constantly disrupted by software solutions and open learning. AcademicMerit is at the forefront of this transformation with an award-winning, cloud-based platform that is pioneering a new approach to improving both teacher instruction and student performance in the long-overlooked area of writing.
Based on the strength of this platform, we have partnered with the College Board, one of the most influential organizations in American education, to make it adaptable to AP® courses across the curriculum—not just writing—and, in the process, putting our software in every high school in the country.
As we prepare for rapid business growth from here, AcademicMerit is seeking to hire several Software Engineers who are agile, who have opinion for great software components and services with great attention to detail in delivering reliable software that is well tested according to user expectations.
The Software Engineer will have the opportunity to engage in full stack development, visualization, user analytics, distributed systems, docker container based services and machine learning algorithms. You will be working on multiple products in writing education and the AP curriculum for teachers and high school students in the US and international schools across the globe. The software will scale to 3-5 million users within three years. Your work will constantly be driven by end-user-focused development to increase learning efficacy and user engagement using data and usability. You will also have ample opportunity to refactor, reimplement and drive innovation. In the end, you will have the final responsibility of delivering high quality software that is well tested for the end user’s needs (teachers, students, College Board and other stakeholders).
We respect people who continuously improve, learn and take pride in delivering software products that people would love to use. You will work closely with the design team, stakeholders and CTO to deliver well defined front end components and backend services. We build with reactjs, python, git, webpack, variety of data stores, continuous integration, AWS, selenium, browserstack, docker and always open to speeding up our development process and scaling our system.
● Proven experience in understanding complex user needs with multiple stakeholders and providing practical solutions that can work in production
● Always automating solutions, but making it clearly understandable to other developers and users
● Highly collaborative and be able to communicate both interpersonally and in your code (we <3 COMMENTS! and ability to think about future developers)
● Not afraid to dive into other’s code, refactor and rewrite if it’s best for maintenance and end user
● Eye for good software engineering practices (i.e. experience in dealing with bad code and improving or refactoring with good design)
● Experience in designing good API’s
● Experience with collaborating in github
● Experience in solving SQL performance issues a plus
● Experience in agile sprints a plus
● Desire to continuously, learn, improve and apply new technologies that will increase
operational efficiency and effectiveness
We are proud of the team we’ve built at AcademicMerit, and looking for someone who will fit in this role and is excited about making a huge impact in learning, while working in a collegial, highly collaborative environment—replete with many of the latest communication tools (Slack, Hangouts, etc.)—with the flexibility of working from anywhere (we are distributed across Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts) or in our office in Boston.
How to Apply
If you are excited to take this partake in the growth of AcademicMerit and take on this challenge please email at firstname.lastname@example.org with links that demonstrate your work and a resume.